Thursday, April 30, 2009

Final Blog Post


This class exposed me to new ways of approaching topics. Some of things I found most interesting related back to the idea of racial formation. In the Pulido reading and many others, the idea of racial triangulation is invoked. By moving away from a purely white/Black binary, authors such as Deverell and Avila were able to more fully grasp how race and ethnicity operates, as well as what purpose and who it serves. I liked learning about the degree to which racial categories have been fluid and dynamic rather than purely static groupings.


Before this class, I wasn't able to articulate the way that race and ethnicity have been produced through spaces. It is something that was always on my mind but I wasn't sure how to talk about it. For example, I’ve always loved taking the train around the surrounding area and looking at the difference places. But it wasn’t until taking this class that I was able to string together my own observations in a way that better conceptualizes the historical contexts that have led to development and reshaping of these communities. This class has enabled me to use an analytic framework to understand the way LA and other cities are built and understood.


Because of the variety of readings and other things we did in class, I never felt like I became too boxed in. In the past I've struggled with some of my classes because I wasn't sure how they related to anything in my life. But I felt that this class helped me broaden my own awareness; I have became more aware of the intersectionality of race, sex, and gender as well how issues such as immigration, labor rights, and prison reform for example overlap and invite coalition building. On a more personal level, something I have been grappling with for a long time is the idea of the academy vs. activism. I thought I was supposed to resolve it by ranking one above the other. But even just looking at the American Studies scholarship, it becomes clear that this binary is challenged through their work.

I also thought bringing in Kelsey and Ashley was a good way of wrapping up our course because hearing them talk made me think about how valuable a theoretical basis can be when coupled with action. This is part of the reason I decided to declare American Studies as a result of this class; from day one I liked the emphasis on social justice and community organizing. Taking this course also made me feel less disconnected and more aware of being part of a larger Los Angeles community. This class has enabled me make the connections I wasn't able to or willing to make on my own. This is probably the most important thing I am going to take away from it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment