Thursday, April 30, 2009

Experiencing the real Los Angeles

Similar to Brandon I am also an outsider looking in. This year is my first visit to America, and one of the reasons I chose Claremont was its close proximity to Los Angeles as the city has always fascinated me. I am an American Studies major back in England so therefore I had briefly been exposed to some of the realities of LA. I had learnt about the Watts Riots in a history class and had read an article by Mike Davis in a sociology class. However the chance to look at LA in such depth and whilst in such close proximity has been a chance of a lifetime for myself. We also do not have an official American Studies department so this was a great opportunity to take a class which incorporates all the disciplines.

I have particularly enjoyed learning about the people themselves, especially the visit by the South Central Farmers. Their dedication and determination to the project whilst trying to juggle the commitments of College are admirable. I feel that through the documentaries, talks and texts we have learnt a lot about the communities which are present in LA and how they express themselves. I live very close to London (probably the same distance as Claremont to LA) which in many respects can be compared to LA. This class has made me consider the way in which I perceive culture in London and the communities which are present there. I had always seen London as a place to go for good shopping, clubbing and to see a show at the West End. I never thought about the people who were living in London in poor housing or the high crime rates, I feel this class has taught me that these factors cannot be ignored.

I had visited LA several times before this class had started I didn’t really look with my eyes open, I went to see the LA Dodgers, Disneyland, Walk of Fame and all the other tourist hotspots. However on subsequent visits I feel that the readings and discussions have had a profound impact on my understanding of LA. I have learnt about the people who live there and their experiences and have visited parts of LA that I never would have thought about visiting before this class. For example the very weekend after the Golden Gulag reading by Gilmore I encountered two men who had just been released from prison. I could not help but overhear their conversation, in which they had already resigned themselves to the fact that they would soon return to prison as if it was inevitable. This conversation could have been taken straight out of the Gilmore text. I guess what I am trying to say is that the texts are all very true to life and really do represent what is happening in LA.

I feel that the skills I will take away from this course will help me to look at culture in any town or city in a very different light. I have learnt that Los Angeles is a city full of diverse culture and fascinating people which is sadly overshadowed by the Hollywood film industry, tourist attractions and the media. This course has allowed me a glimpse at the real side of Los Angeles, the good and bad, the beautiful and ugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment